Five easy projects to protect your home from the cold.
Since we’re heading into the colder months, we wanted to share a few of the top things we see homeowners forget or neglect to do as they prepare their homes for winter.
1. Furnace and HVAC. Have your furnace and HVAC systems cleaned out at least once a year. If a part needs to be replaced, you can usually do it a little cheaper before winter than during the middle of the season. You don’t want to end up without heat or with a pretty sizeable bill.
2. Blow out your sprinkler system. Every year, we get at least one client who forgets to do this, and the first freeze sneaks up on them, leaving them with a broken line and water pouring into the street, yard, or worse—into their house.
“Take the easy route and have your sprinkler blown out ASAP. Take the easy route and have your sprinkler blown out ASAP.”
3. Landscaping. If you want to have an awesome-looking yard come springtime, you have to put it to bed properly in the fall. We have a checklist of landscaping maintenance projects you can tackle now to set the stage for a vibrant spring.
4. Clean out your gutters. As the leaves fall from the trees, be sure to get up there and clean out your gutters. All it takes is one heavy snow or rainstorm to fill up your gutters, allowing water to leak into your foundation. That can damage your home.
5. Seal up the exterior of your house. That includes the roof, windows, and peeling or chipping paint, which can become entry points for moisture, mold, and wood rot. Replacing your siding can be a hefty bill, so take some precautions before it becomes an issue.
If you have any questions or need recommendations for handymen to assist you with any of these projects, reach out to your realtor in Fort Collins and give me us call. I’d love to help you.